Tired of wasting hundreds and thousands of dollars on garbage supplements for your fitness needs? Here we will be breaking down my “Top 5 List” of types of fitness supplements and, more specifically, some of the best products of each type. This may help you decide which ones you should be taking. To make things even more convenient, I have provided links to buy all of the top products being reviewed at great prices!
Note: This guide is based on our personal opinions generated through trial and error and is intended only for people who are already actively participating in a fitness program. DO NOT start a fitness program without consulting a doctor if:
- You can’t fit into the bed of a full-size pickup truck
- You can’t get out of bed without mechanical aid
- You can’t walk, or crawl.
- You cannot see your private parts (even in the mirror)
Is there any big surprise that this makes #1 on the list? If any recommendatory supplement list you read DOES NOT have protein at least in the top 3, you should probably stop reading and then reexamine how you go about searching the internet. Protein is crucial because it is required for the growth and repair of all tissue.
The most popular protein supplement is whey, which synthesizes with the greatest efficiency when compared to other sources.
Casein is another popular form of protein used for late evening consumption due to its slower release into the bloodstream. Casein and whey are both derived from milk, so if you are lactose intolerant, we suggest looking into soy, beef isolate, or egg as alternative sources. Whey and other forms of protein can be consumed individually.
However, studies have shown that a blend of proteins is the most effective way to keep your body in a state of muscle building!
A good rule of thumb is to consume at least 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight every day.
Here are our top recommended protein blend brands:
- Gaspari Nutrition Myofusion: Unbeatable quality at a price that cannot be matched; this protein tastes great and beats all competition.
- Optimum Nutrition Pro-Complex: A close second, this guy loses to Myofusion due to its price, but if money isn’t an issue, you can’t go wrong with this protein.
Everyone needs vitamins, especially active people. Vitamins are used in small quantities for controlling metabolic processes. They are made up of various organic substances and are found in the tissue of plants and animals.
If you want to be successful in achieving peak capabilities, you need to provide your body with everything it needs!
Each vitamin has a specific responsibility. The most important vitamins, essential to successful physical performance, are as follows:
Most people would hesitate if they had to take a pill for each vitamin needed, hence the multi-vitamin. There are varying levels to what multi-vitamins contain, but ideally, they would have at minimum, all of the above listed.
Here are our top recommended multi-vitamin brands:
- GNC Megamen Sport: Best all-around multi-vitamin. It has everything you need and more in one pill.
- Universal Animal Pak: For the more hardcore bodybuilders, these packets contain over ten pills of varying sizes and shapes. This may put a damper on the convenience of having to take only one capsule, but as a bonus, you get extra stuff like digestive enzymes, amino acids, and energy complexes.
Has there ever been a person who, at some point in their lives, did not fantasize about having an impressively lean and ripped physique? I would highly doubt that, and I’m sure you would too.
Everywhere you look today, movies, media, and television fabricate the ideal human physique in the minds of countless Americans. While few people will ever reach the (often) airbrushed or photo-shopped look of the celebrity world, a functional fitness and nutrition plan will go a long way. However, with a slow metabolism, this simply isn’t enough. That’s where the shock-wave that is thermogenic comes into play.
Thermogenic burners increase your metabolism to burn calories faster and store less fat. Most contain caffeine in amounts that range from equaling one to as many as five cups of coffee. So be careful when taking these, and definitely don’t take them before bed.
Here are our top recommended thermogenic burners:
- USP Labs OxyElite Pro: When I first came across OxyElite, I was skeptical of the results people were claiming. However, $30 later, all of my doubts were laid to rest. This breakthrough burner is one easy pill per day.
- USP Labs Recreate: An excellent alternative to OxyElite. Intensely thermogenic, these pills don’t seem to contain as much caffeine as the latter. But you know you are burning calories because you will sweat more and feel noticeably warmer doing any physical activities.
Pre-workout supplements are formulated to push you to get the most out of your workouts. Most contain combinations of creatine, nitric oxide, caffeine, amino acids, BCAAs, glutamine, and other nutrients.
These can be extremely powerful and should not be used casually, as you can expect increased blood flow, better mental focus, enhanced muscle pumps, and increased energy.
One thing worth mentioning here is that both men and women can benefit from these products.
Here are our top recommended pre-workout supplements:
- USP Labs Jack3d: A powder blend containing schizandrol A, caffeine, beta-alanine, and creatine monohydrate. This stuff has exploded in popularity in recent years, and for a good reason. It can help you lift heavier weight, bust out more reps, and have long-lasting energy. The best if you lack motivation before going to the gym.
Wouldn’t it be great if there existed a supplement that by itself, can actually improve strength performance? I’m sure you already heard of it. Studies have confirmed that under certain conditions (short-duration, high-intensity athletic activities), taking creatine supplements can improve strength performance. Some studies even reported increased lean body mass.
There are several negative myths surrounding creatine, which may deter people from using this amazing supplement.
The truth is, the only thing you should really focus on doing while taking creatine supplements is consuming adequate water (at least a gallon per day).
Here are our top recommended creatine brands:
- Sci-fit Kre-Alkalyn 1500: One of the more recent breakthroughs in creatine. Unlike the more common form, monohydrate, Kre-Alkalyn creatine has a far superior absorption rate and produces greater results in smaller quantities. Comes in pill form for ultimate convenience.
- Optimum Nutrition Micronized Creatine: A high-quality creatine that boasts 99.9% pure monohydrate per serving. Not to be outdone by competitors, O.N. has made this creatine odor and tasteless and easily dissolves in water or juice.
Think Before You Buy
The subtitle sums it all up. Don’t buy supplements unless you know you can benefit from them! There are a lot of phony products out there, and there is a reason why some supplements have a disclaimer that says the FDA has not evaluated it.
There are a lot of supplement categories that are arguably just as necessary/useful as those mentioned above (fish oil, N.O., amino acids, and natural growth enhancers come to mind), but these are tried and true favorites. I can’t stress enough how important it is to only take supplements along with a healthy diet and an effective fitness plan. With hard work and dedication, you too can have the Hollywood body everyone dreams of! Feel free to message me with any questions!